In the aftermath of Facebook whistleblower Frances Haugen's allegations, cosmetics firm Lush has shut down its Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and Snapchat accounts worldwide.
"In the same way that evidence opposing climate change was disregarded and belittled for decades, worries about the serious repercussions of social media are going largely ignored now," the company stated in its news statement earlier this week.
Prior to Black Friday, one of the largest shopping days of the year, Lush announced that it will be shutting down its pipelines to millions of customers.
But Mark Constantine, CEO of the company, was all for it.
If Facebook loses $13.3 million by shutting down accounts, "I'm glad to lose £10 million," he said in an interview with The Guardian.
There were 10.6 million followers on Lush's Facebook and Instagram profiles according to The Guardian.
According to Constantine, Lush was forced by Meta's own research on Instagram's negative impact on teen girls' mental health to make the move. "We've been tightened up throughout the Covid era, it won't destroy us."
"How could we reasonably imply we're a caring business if we look at that and don't care?" Constantine asked The Guardian. "We're talking about suicide here, not spots or whether someone should colour their hair blonde."
Recently, Lush has spoken out on several social topics, and recently announced that it will no longer be using Facebook and Instagram because it was "weary of fighting with algorithms." However, the company eventually returned to the networks.
Following the death of George Floyd in 2020, a number of big advertisers deserted Meta's Facebook and Instagram platforms, only to return months later.
This time around, Lush has promised to stay away from social media.
According to Constantine, "We have not done it as a PR gimmick, we have done it for serious reasons." He said that if the company reversed direction again, he would be "a laughing stock."