Homeless Belfast man suffers burns to feet and legs after tent goes on fire

A homeless ‘rough sleeper’ in Belfast was rushed to hospital suffering from burns to his feet and legs after the tent he was sleeping in went on fire late on Saturday night.

The man, who is in his 20s, was in his tent at Middlepath Street, close to the east bank of the Lagan, when the blaze started.

He is now being treated in hospital for injuries to his feet and legs following the incident on Middlepath Street on Saturday night.

North Belfast councillor Paul McCusker said it highlights just how vulnerable those living on our streets are.

He added: “He’s in hospital and in quite a bad way.

“A homeless volunteer was on the scene and when they got over he was on his feet in quite a distressed state.

“There was scorch damage. He sustained serious burns to his feet and his clothes were burned.

“It shows how vulnerable people are on when they are living on the streets in Belfast,” he added.

“I hope he has a very speedy recover and would like to pay tribute to all the volunteers who made sure he got the help he needed last night.”

It is understood the man was taken to Belfast Royal Victoria Hospital by the Welcome Organisation, after a homeless volunteer asked them to help.

Police were alerted to the 9.45pm incident around an hour later and are now appealing for information.

Detective Sergeant Dane said: “Shortly before 10.45pm Police received a report that a man, aged in his 20s, had suffered burns to his feet and lower legs after the tent he was sleeping in caught fire. It is believed that the fire may have started sometime before 9.45pm.

“We are working to establish the cause of the fire and I am appealing for anyone who has any information that can assist with the investigation to contact detectives in Musgrave on 101 quoting reference 1215 05/01/19.

So what do you think?

Tell us in the comments.

Source More Details
Source More Details

You May Also Like