Tragic mum’s dying video message to NHS hospital who failed to diagnose cervical cancer six times

Julie O’Connor, 49, said her suffering was “disgusting” as she’s propped up in her hospice bed three days before her death

A terminally-ill nurse used a heartbreaking final message to criticise the hospital she claims missed several chances to diagnose her cancer.

Julie O’Connor, 49, said the way she suffered was “disgusting” in a video shot just before she died.

Propped up in her hospice bed, her voice barely audible, the 49-year-old nurse said: “I think it took six attempts for the cancer to be diagnosed. It’s disgusting I have been suffering the way I have and I continue to suffer.”

She died three days later, Mirror Online reports.

The message was filmed at St Peter’s Hospice in Bristol, where Julie lost her fight for life.

She said doctors at Southmead Hospital did not spot she was suffering from the disease.

Julie, of Thornbury, Gloucestershire, complained of symptoms in 2014, but a test came back negative.

She had numerous biopsies and examinations, but that it was not until three years after the initial diagnosis a private consultant informed her she had cancer.

Husband Kevin then tells the camera doctors failed to diagnose her illness over a period of three years.

“We hold them fully accountable,” he said.

“The pathologist and the gynaecologist, who had several opportunities to intervene, I hold them responsible, and I do hold the board of directors at North Bristol Trust accountable.

“They put me and Julie through this. What we want to do with this video is to show the board of directors what they’ve done.

“What they’ve done to me and Julie and our family. And I just hope this doesn’t happen to anybody else. We want a wider review.”

Dr Chris Burton, of North Bristol NHS Trust, said: “We are committed to understanding the full circumstances of the care we provided so we can improve our services.

“We’ll be publicly open with the findings of the independent [probe] we’ve commissioned.”

Last year Julie told the Bristol Post that in 2014 was given the all clear, despite that result being wrong.

Three years later, after what Julie describes as a “catalogue of errors”, her cancer spread out of control and became incurable.

“It’s too late now to cure me. I am having chemotherapy and radiotherapy but all they can do is give me palliative care to prolong my life,” Julie said back then.

“If they had caught it back in 2014 or even 2015 it could’ve been a completely different story.

“My main concern now is making sure that other women who had tests back in 2014 and 2015 are aware that if they are having ongoing symptoms or think something is wrong they should challenge the results and get retested,” she added.

Julie sued the hospital and going public with her story had been difficult for her family, especially her two children.

So what do you think?

Tell us in the comments.

Source More Details
Source More Details

You May Also Like